Yesterday,I was asked have you read Presumed Innocent by Scott Turow? This simple question kick started an inner dialogue of thinking about what I had read and wanted to read.For the record, I have read Presumed Innocent,Burden of Proof,Personal Injuries, Limitations. I like Mr. Turow's legal procedural mystery suspense novels.I prefer Turow to John Grisham.
During the 1970s,one summer reading list consisted of only John Steinbeck's novels.Not sure what year,either 1975 or 1976.I was living in a run down one bedroom house in Surrey BC. Living the student life while attending Simon Fraser University.Ah the student life, Kraft Dinner,all nighters,deadlines,discussions in the pub,cheap beer, beet top soup(really).
I only had three or four novels to read that summer.I had been reading Steinbeck for many years. The goal was to finish all the novels. Steinbeck's nonfiction works were not on the list. He was such a prolific writer, it would have been impossible to read everything.A family member said to me "you cannot read everything" You were so right Lori!I remember fondly concentrating on my summer goal. At times it would have been a distraction to pick up the latest summer beach novel. I resisted the temptation and met my goal.
What are you reading this week?
Hmmm... funny that I said that you can't read everything... since I was reading this and thought, "Steinbeck, eh? Wow, I should try that one summer!". I think it was Jean-Paul Sartre who read 100 books a week and barely slept. Not sure if it was worth it though.
ReplyDeleteI also remember the summer you were reading Les Miserable. You recall that summer? I read East of Eden,Travels with Charly,Cannery Row and Of Mice and Men. I read The Winter of Our Discontent after reading Grapes of Wrath while in my early teens. Last year, I purchased Jackson's biography of Steinbeck which I have not yet read.
ReplyDelete